I appreciate all you do! Sometimes your job is hard and long, but you always make me feel like I belong.
Attention to Detail
Memory Care Design at Carrington Court
At Carrington Court we are acutely aware of the unique physical, emotional, and social needs of seniors with dementias and other memory impairments and how the environment can play an important role in meeting these needs. Pat Brown, gerontologist, interior designer and founder of Lifespan Environments has used her years of experience to design Carrington Court to ensure that it is not only beautiful, but "resident focused" as well.
Carrington Court's Memory Care design provides gracious living in a luxurious old European atmosphere. The amenities and conveniences at Carrington Court's Memory Care Community were all designed with seniors' unique needs in mind, which enhances our resident's lifestyles and affords them the freedom to enjoy life.
Age-related changes to the eyes sometimes make it difficult for seniors to distinguish one color from another so we selected a color palette that provides high contrast and is easily discernible even to those with diminished vision. Patterns and fabrics were given careful consideration as to their scale and clarity in addition to fostering an old European ambiance.
Colors have been shown to produce distinctive psychological responses in people, so we utilized this knowledge in our Memory Care design scheme. Because we understand that seniors often feel cold, colors were chosen specifically to create a sense of warmth" amber, sage, teal, russet and peach.
- The dining room and community activity room use bolder, more active colors which help stimulate appetite and energy levels.
- More muted neutral tones are used in resident units to help create a quiet, restful environment and enable residents to furnish to their own personal tastes.
One of the most common visual changes that occur among seniors is that the pupils of the eye become rigid and lose their ability to constrict and dilate. This creates a need for higher light levels and sensitivity to glare. We have addressed these issues in several ways with our Memory Care facility design.
- Lighting fixtures were selected so that the light source is always hidden and glare is eliminated.
- All of our lighting fixtures provide up-lighting which casts the light upward onto the ceiling and upper walls, maximizing light reflectance without creating a source of glare.
- Upper walls and ceilings are all light in tone in order to maximize light reflectance.
- High gloss surfaces were avoided in flooring and counter materials to minimize glare as well as risk of falls.
Hearing can be a challenge for seniors. Hearing aids can have difficulty filtering our background noise. This makes it difficult for seniors to communicate. We have addressed these issues in several ways with our Memory Care facility design:
- Walls between residences are soundproofed so that televisions and music can be turned up load enough to hear without bothering neighboring residents.
- In order to encourage conversation and socialization among our residents, dining tables seat only four people, which put diners at a close enough proximity to be able to make eye contact and communicate easily with each other.
- Even the fountain in the courtyard was selected because of its pleasing sound.
Carrington Court's Memory Care design provides a sense of openness to the outside world along with safe homelike security. Elderly memory care residents may feel isolated and abandoned in facilities that are too large or too small. Carrington Court is large enough to provide many options to make dear friends but small enough that residents do not feel isolated.
- Doors and windows open to the inner shaded courtyard with its soothing fountain and looped path that leads back to the building.
- Residents may easily navigate without long and winding corridors. We have provided seating, so residents may rest along the way if they want. The corridors all lead back to the living activity room.
- The Dutch doors to the residents rooms provide an open feeling and still deter uninvited wanderers. The top may be closed to provide privacy when desired.
- Bathroom doors are visible from the resident's bed to be easily found and used.
Carrington Court's Memory Care design affords maximum safety and security. We understand that safety and security are of prime importance in caring for memory impaired residents.
- Bathroom support bars, shower seats with hand-held shower heads, and even our plumbing fixtures were selected to enhance safety and autonomy.
- Each apartment has an individual room thermostat so a resident need never feel too warm or too cold. Heating and air conditioning are provided from the ceiling so there is no chance of injury from lying against the heat source.
- Corridors provide interesting yet sheltered walking routes with intermittent seating throughout to provide resting points.
- A resident laundry is provided on site so that residents or their families may do their own laundry if they wish.
Carrington Court's Memory Care interior design selected furniture not only to create a beautiful, comfortable, homelike environment, but also to support the physical changes that accompany the aging process.
- Seating throughout the facility has sturdy arms and firm, high seats which assist older people in rising from a seated position.
- Dining chairs are light enough to move easily, but do not have casters, which can be extremely dangerous to elders.
- Dining tables are extremely sturdy, which allows residents to lean on the table edge to assist in rising without fear of the table tipping.
Emotional and Social Needs
Most important Carrington Court Memory Care provides a sense of welcome and belonging, which is fundamental to quality of life. Our Memory Care facility design has many amenities that help Carrington Court become a real home to our residents.
- The Hair Salon provides the convenience of professional stylists and barbers without even having to leave the building.
- Residents are encouraged to participate in our active recreational program which includes many options to satisfy a wide range of interests.
- Studies have shown that Alzheimer's residents eat better if they can see fish swimming in an aquarium. We provided an aquarium to stimulate our residents in this manner.
Peace of Mind Security
While maintaining our residents' privacy Carrington Court's Memory Care design provides a safe and secure place to live.
- Our facility is secured and monitored to prevent confused residents from departing without assistance.
- Resident authorized visitors may access the facility at any time.
- Unwanted individuals are denied access to the facility.
- Entrances, hallways and common areas are secured and monitored by close circuit television cameras so that residents are safe and sound.
While our residents often become like family to us we have designed Carrington Court to be a home where our residents may enjoy their children, posterity and friends. Carrington Court's Memory Care design is Family Friendly.
- Our Private Dining Room enables our residents to enjoy family meals and private celebrations.
- We encourage families to come to our monthly family activities which have included holiday parties, Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July, Luaus and other great activities.
As you can see, Carrington Court's Memory Care facility design is so much more than just a beautiful home. Our residents are our central focus and we've designed this community with them in mind!
Come and see why Carrington Court's Memory Care design make it
THE BETTER CHOICE.
Seniors who require help from time to time but wish to maintain their independence are good candidates for assisted living.
Carrington Court's Assisted Living community is designed for seniors who require assistance in some aspects of daily living. This assistance can include help with mobility, transportation, medication administration, personal grooming and hygiene, incontinence management and more. Carrington Court offers care plans designed to suit the specific needs of each resident.
Seniors who have memory impairments, dementia, or Alzheimer's disease are great candidates for memory care.
Carrington Court's Memory Care Community is designed to support seniors suffering from Alzheimer's Disease or other memory disorders. While safety and security are the primary concern, care plans are also customized to the individuals' needs and the family's wishes. Resources such as Alzheimer's support groups are often available to assist loved ones.